« Home | First Aid Course (costs) » | Bored » | 15... » | Thanks Yahoo! » | Italy:: you suck! » | Nothing Particular » 

Wednesday, June 30, 2004 

bad bad night...

In Bin's Free Love, he wondered if you would expect the ppl to whom you've given a hand to remember you. Frankly, I wouldn't. I wouldn't offer my help in the first place if I din want to.

And I've got a question. Have you ever got yourself into trouble by offering help to others. Using myself as an example, L wanted to set up an internet connection and asked for my help. I even bought the modem for L cos L was more or less computer illiterate. Here's the problem: L was using Win 95 (don't ask me why) but the modem was only good for all versions of Windows above 95. I tried looking for the modem driver for Win 95 on the net but to no avail. L din want to upgrade the computer and ended up resenting me because L paid $30 for the modem and couldn't get a refund. Should I take the blame?

Similar thing happened tonight. Trying to fix a friend's computer but ended up causing more problems. And to add salt to the wound, I came home surfing the net trying to make myself feel better, only to find out my computer was infected with the Sasser Worm that would restart your computer every now and then. The funny thing is I actually downloaded the patch when the security breach was first exploited but din bother to install the patch. Ai... is just not my day today, what more can I say? I always thought I was careful with computer stuff, I don't open dubious attachments, don't use Outlook, don't use IE and have a firewall set up. This principle has served me well for the past few years during which I had never had any virus infection. I guess you can never be too careful, esp you're dealing with Microsoft, it's so soft that you don't even need to apply pressure to break it.

Probably the only good thing that happened to me today was the fact that I got 100% (the lowest was 94% anyway and nobody failed, like I said) in my first aid course test and will receive my cert in two weeks' time. To answer Bin's question, there was supposed to be a practical test but I don't know why there wasn't one today. I assume the instructor tested us informally as she would go around and correct us if we made any mistakes. So, easy test, 100 bucks. A - airway, B - Breathing, C - Circulation. I got 100%, don't play play with me, hahaha.